Questions from a beginner

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Mar 6 13:27:43 EST 2001

In article <7D924B83F563035A.78ADE854BCA8F2C6.DA35B8F7D112D810 at lp.airnews.net>,
I abbreviated:
Cameron Laird <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote:
>In article <1103_983792888 at breakdown>,
>Alison Myers  <squirmy at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>Hi. I'm a beginning programmer at a fairly late age and have been looking for a language to learn.
>			.
>			.
>			.
>Most of the answers are, "Yes."  I've argued before that
>Python is the best first language
			.
			.
			.
A correspondent, with a return address I couldn't get to
work, wrote me privately (?) to wonder why I didn't mention
LISP, which is the *real* language-done-right for
Gabrielites <URL: http://www.naggum.no/worse-is-better.html >.
Well, Scheme's my second choice for a first language <URL:
http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-10-2000/swol-1013-regex.html >
Why only second?  For me, it's 'cause Python remains easier
to embed-and-extend, and has a wider range of what I regard
as significant GUI toolkit bindings, and Win* conveniences.
Also, I still have mixed feelings about Scheme in large-team
projects.  I can see Scheme making great advances on all
these fronts, though ...

I like to think Scheme and Python complement each other in
making the pie bigger, rather than squabbling over how to
cut the pieces.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net