I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Mar 8 20:50:15 EST 2001

In article <989btv$rd4$1 at panix3.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch wrote:

>>>Even with my newfound understanding, provided by the Martellibot, I
>>>agree with this.  Calling a method on an object is fine.  Calling it
>>>on a literal looks weird.

>>What makes you think a "literal" is not an object?
>
>It is, but not at the aesthetic level.

But, aesthetics is determined largely by cultural influences:
i.e. background.

";" isn't an object at the aesthetic level *for a C
programmer*.  For others with different backgrounds, ";" is
just as much an object as anything else -- both at an aesthetic
level and at a technical level.

>>> Take for example something like this
>>>
>>>three = 1.__add__( 2 )
>>
>>Looks just fine to a ex-Smalltalker: everything is an object.
>
>Python isn't Smalltalk.

Neither is it C. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is it FUN to be
                                  at               a MIDGET?