Extending Python: rewriting a single method in C

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 09:02:20 EST 2001

"Jacek Generowicz" <jmg at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:g0g0ggy7ct.fsf at scumbag.ecs.soton.ac.uk...
    [snip]
> > But attribute-getting works just fine for simple cases without
> > you writing anything special!
    [snip]
> OK . . . I guess this means that the default implementation is not
> accessible via __getattr__, but it is available via PyObject_GetAttr ?

Yes, and also available via builtin-function getattr.

> > > (Would it be fair to say that the documentaion is, on the whole, less
> > > that satisfactory ?)
> >
> > I find it pretty decent, myself.
>
> I guess that it is if you know what you are looking for and where to
> find it :-)

With the HTML-Help form of the docs (I forget the helpful person
from whose site I downloaded that from), searching throughout the
docs is instantaneous -- which roughly makes up for defects in
the index and/or organizational problems in the docs themselves.

It does help to read the sources (which are very well organized,
clear, and readable) -- except that sometimes one may be left in
doubt if something "just happens to work this way today" vs "is
_designed_ to work this way forever":-).

Alex