Standalone executables

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Mar 22 15:21:49 EST 2001

[posted and mailed]

Don Tuttle wrote:

>"Dave LeBlanc"
>> I found this on c.l.p.announce:
>> The Linux version of Installer for Python 2 is here:
>>  http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/installer_dnld.html
>
>Mark, judging from comments posted here,  your main issue of which
>installer/pseudo compiler to use will depend on you choice of GUI.
>py2exe = wxPython.  Tkinter = Gordon's Installer.  So as tools stand
>now, the question is which is more important,  using wxPython, or
>distributing to both Windows & Linux. (Or maybe you could port py2exe to
>Linux for Thomas ;-)

I use my installer with wxPython all the time (I rarely use TK).
It doesn't need any special support (well, there was a time when
what Robin was doing and what I was doing conflicted, but it
seems to be OK again now).

On Linux, the packager may have to take care of wxWindows on the
target machine (if it's not statically linked); it's only on Windows
that the intaller will trace the (system) dependencies of extension
modules.

- Gordon