I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Fri Mar 16 05:58:43 EST 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:98qeco02hn7 at news1.newsguy.com...
[...]
> And then again, the _appearance_ that too much emphasis
> was being placed on syntax-sugary issues kept me *AWAY*
> from Python for longer than it should have -- sure, sure,
> I could save some punctuation, but, *WHAT DID I CARE*?!
>
> Good thing (for me) that I eventually looked beyond the
> pretty face, of course:-).

Why? If you don't care about the pretty face, what are
the advantages of Python as opposed to, say, Perl?
To me it would seem that syntax (sugar or not) is
the main issue... Not that I've used Perl a lot, but
it seems very much like Python with a lot of ugly bits
thrown in...

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland          http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is what refuses to disappear when you stop
  believing in it"                 -- Philip K. Dick