"!=" is bad form. Re: sorry....never mind

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Thu Mar 8 20:45:43 EST 2001

Werner Schiendl <ws-news at gmx.at> wrote:
> > I hate '<>' because it's too much like VB (and so many other BASIC
> > variants).
>
> I think there are at least the same number of programmers that hate the
> other way because it looks to much like C.
> Maybe we should invent some completely new operator, ending up with line
> noise one day... :-]

I realize I seem to be in the minority in this group when I say I like
C/C++.  NB: I like them as _languages_, but would prefer NOT to do
everyday programming in them, as they're just a pain in the ass most of
the time.

I started out programming in BASIC on the TRS-80 and remember the utter
confusion upon seeing the '<>' operator ("It's greater than _and_ less
than?")  I had no Pascal background.  I like C's '!=' because it just
makes more sense to my logical, math-adept brain.

I have no problem with anyone else using it, and if I saw it in
someone's code, I would understand it.  I just prefer not to use it.
And since I've not heard any mention of either inequality operator being
deprecated, I have no cause to change.  ;)

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>

I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem.
	-- Ashleigh Brilliant