python suitability for large critical run forever apps

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Tue Mar 20 15:45:33 EST 2001

In article <3AB7986A.206EFB37 at downright.com>,
Doug Fort  <dougfort at downright.com> wrote:

>--------------1AC435D54686058051C2DC36
>
>Our website loadtesting application http://www.stressmy.com has backend
>
>agents that 'run forever'. (Actually, we're doing frequent upgrades,
>
>so most agents get restarted at least once a week, but we've
>
>never had anything fail from memory or resource leaks).
>
>I find multithreaded apps much easier to develop and debug in
>
>Python than in C/C++ or Java.  However, I'm becoming convinced
>
>that it's better to use select() than threads for waiting on I/O.

Could you elaborate on your reasons?  I'm a bit leery about threads
too, but so far they seem to work, although I hate having all those
locks all over the place.  I really miss the tcl event-driven model
with fileevent and after.  Oh well.

-- cary