PIL and Windows file formats?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Mar 5 22:01:37 EST 2001

I installed Python 2.0 and PIL for Python 2.0 on my machine and am
trying to manipulate images.  I try to open a (valid) PNG image (with a
standard .png file extension) with PIL.Image.open and get a "cannot
identify image type" error.  I then debug through PIL.Image.py only to
discover, much to my surprise, the only formats it seems to know about
(in PIL.Image.ID) are GIF, JPEG, and TIFF.

Any idea what in the world is going on here?

/  \ All the people in my neighborhood turn around and get mad and sing
\__/ Public Enemy
    Crank Dot Net / http://www.crank.net/
 Cranks, crackpots, kooks, & loons on the Net.