help building extension with C++

Dave Seidel dave at superluminal.com
Wed Mar 21 13:44:29 EST 2001

I'm trying to build a small extension to Python 2.0 as a shared library.
This is on Linux (RH6.2), although the code was originally written on
Windows.

Following the directions in the "Extending and Embedding..." chapter, I
made a local copy of Misc/Makefile.pre.in, made a simple Setup file, and
ran "make -f Makefile.pre.in boot". However, the resulting Makefile has a
problem: it uses $(CCC) as the compiler command for my source files (which
have the extension .cpp), and CCC isn't defined anywhere in the makefile.

My Setup looks like this :

<snip>
*shared*

MRHashTable MRHash.cpp MRHashTable.cpp PythonExtension.cpp

</snip>

What am I missing or doing wrong?

TIA,

- Dave