Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Tue Mar 6 17:04:54 EST 2001

> C++ is far more complex that C without being much safer.  Since
> the safety has to be "inspected" into the program, you want
> to make things as easy to inspect as possible: a nice simple
> language.

That is of course a point, if you need to let the program inspect you will
try to keep it as simple as possible.
But given the same functionality, I think a C++ program will not be more
complex.

...as long as it is well designed of course, nobody forces you to use any
number of features at all possible

don't you think so?

Given a 'normal' program I think C++ programs will usually be somewhat safer
as long as libraries are used whereever possible.
(Well tested, quality libraries, of course).

Think about string operations: I think about 50 % of all security issues I
read about are somehow related with a (string) buffer overflow. The string
family of classes does not have that kind of problem.

regards
werner