Bug in Py_Finalize() ?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Mar 3 15:41:18 EST 2001

[Tim]
> You didn't give a complete program so it's impossible for me to
> say whether your problem is fixed.  I did put your loop in an
> extension module and boosted the loop limit to 1000.  No problem
> under Windows Python 2.1b1, under either release or debug builds.

[Owen F. Ransen]
> That was the complete program, I had narrowed it down that
> far to find out what was crashing.

It was an isolated loop (hence not a "complete program").  Whatever problem
you were having may or may not have had to do with what you didn't post.  For
example, if you returned to the Python interpreter after doing Py_Finalize(),
then of course you're going to get a crash.  But I can't guess that in the
absence of a complete program.

> I downloaded the Windows installer for 2.1b1 but there does not
> appear to be any debug libraries...

Sorry, we never ship debug stuff with the Windows installer, because it's yet
another megabyte of stuff to download that the vast majority of Windows users
have no use for.  People who want debug stuff are by definition developers,
and so are strongly encouraged to build Python from source (ain't hard!).

Nevertheless, I just uploaded all the 2.1b1 debug stuff to SourceForge:

    https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5470

Get file Python-2.1b1-Debug.zip.

Does your program run OK under the release build we did ship?