Static typing (was Re: Java guy interested in Python)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 04:01:17 EST 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote in message
    [snip]
> >     class int {
    [snip]
> > Isn't this perfectly legal C++, meaning something very different from
    [snip]
> As in the "Einstein's Riddle" thread, I was doing Rainer the favor of
> assuming he was trying to say something <ahem>.  If I don't extend you the
> same favor, then before I can answer your question I have to be assured of
> great many things, such as that e.g. this fragment isn't in the scope of
>
> #define char const

Right -- that was supposed to be the intended-to-be-humorous-but-telling
point (that one never can tell without a lot of context what 'only thing'
a piece of C++ can mean, due in part but not only to the preprocessor --
a snide-but-valid implied criticism of C++ [and C]).

But it does fall totally flat on re-reading.  My apologies.

Alex