Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Mar 31 19:32:22 EST 2001

In article <mailman.986080180.25333.python-list at python.org>, Tim Peters wrote:
>[Moshe Zadka]
>> Python would never fit on a floppy.
>
>Sure it can!  Python + the entire base std library (top level
>of Lib/) still fits on a floppy with ease, if you use any
>common compression scheme.  Just for fun, I just built a zip
>file with that stuff for the Windows 2.1b2 distribution, and it
>came in at just over a tad above 1Mb (so about 70% of one
>floppy).

I assume that Moshe meant that it will never fit on a
single-floppy Linux system.  Python isn't much good with no OS
to run it.  Ash/bash is already there as a command line shell,
so there's no incremental cost in having startup scripts
written in shell.  A 1M incremental cost for writing them in
Python would be out of the question.

Other than increased maintenance costs, there's no reason you
can't stick with ash/bash/sh scripts for floppy systems and
Python scripts for full-up systems.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  With this weapon
                                  at               I can expose fictional