GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri May 18 11:07:22 EDT 2001

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 07:19:21AM +0000, Terry Reedy wrote:

| and wonder if there might be good enough reasons to add Linux to this or my
| next machine, perhaps within the next year.

Sure -- Linux is stabler, faster, and more useable (all IMO) than
Windows.  :-)

| By binaries, I was thinking of extension modules like PIL, wxPython, etc
| for which the developers have often made Windows binaries but not
| everything else.

# for PIL
$ apt-get install python-imaging

# for wxPython
$ apt-get install libwxgtk2.2-python

Check out Debian's package list at

http://packages.debian.org

Debian has a lot (>4000 I think) packages.  There are a lot of
prebuilt python extensions neatly bundled up into packages.
Installation is as simple as the above commands.

-D