GUI dev ???

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu May 31 14:21:23 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:48:37PM +0200, Harvest T. Moon wrote:
| > > for Mac, Windoze and *nix there is Tkinter (a wrapper for tcl/tk), the
| > > de-facto standard GUI library for Python, so for cross-plattform
| > > development it's really the best choice IMHO.
| >
| > Quite possibly, but the clear alternative is wxPython, which
| > should run on the same platforms.
|
| oh, i didn't knew that wxPython runs on Mac, too. :)

It does and it is getting better (IIRC the wxMac port is a bit behind the
wxGTK and wxMFC ports)

http://www.advanced.ch/wxwin/

| > AFAIK, BeOS IS one target of wxWindows too, and when
| > that's done wxPython should follow.
|
| hopefully ... i'd love to use it.

Quoted from http://www.wxwindows.org/faqgen.htm

"""
What platforms are supported by wxWindows 2?

    Windows 3.1, Windows 95/98, Windows NT;
    Linux and other Unix platforms with GTK+;
    Unix with Motif or the free Motif clone Lesstif;
    Mac OS; A Mac OS X port is in progress.
    A BeOS port is being investigated.
    A Windows CE port is being investigated.
    An OS/2 port is in progress, and you can also compile wxWindows
        for GTK+ or Motif on OS/2.
"""

My favorites are either PyGTK or wxPython -- I haven't decided yet.
PyGTK/GTK+ is lighter weight than wxPython/wxWindows (especially
wxGTK) because wxWindows is a wrapper around the native API to provide
the wxWindows API (and in the case of wxGTK it is a wrapper around
GTK).  GTK+ widgets are all self-drawing using the GDK (a low-level
API to abstract the general drawing constructs,  the GDK is a wrapper
around the bottom of the native API such as xlib or MSWindows).

-D