Embedding Python 2.0 and 2.1? Memory usage, Embedded systems and Leakage.

Warren Postma warren-postma at home.com
Tue May 15 00:44:34 EDT 2001

We have a complex embedded system running on a minimal multithreaded OS
(threads only, no processes, no virtual memory).

While Python 1.5.2 is running great, we have a real pain finding genuine
memory leaks, and reference counting problems, because the standard Python
interpreter appears to leave a tonne of stuff for the operating system to
clean up, meaning that it doesn't do "perfect" heap management. It does a
lot of the "leave it there, it will get deallocated when the process ends"
type of thing.

I would immediately start working on porting 2.1 to our embedded operating
system (VenturCom ETS 10.0) if anyone could tell me, do you know, does
Python 2.1 leave as much or more stuff allocated on the heap when it exits,
than Python 1.5.2 did?

I'm about to find out for myself, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone can
save me finding out. If anyone else is interested in making a 2.1 subset
with deterministic "perfect" heap management, I woud like to hear from you,
because it's possible we can work together on this.

Warren