data size

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 18:22:54 EST 2001

On Friday 09 November 2001 15:16, harry wrote:
> > He is probably asking you which C library your version of Python was
> > compiled with. But you don't need to know that, either.
> >
> > All Python dictionaries are a standard 2.5 cm by 3.6cm. Integers have no
> > width and are all 1.2 cm in length. Strings are all 2 mm times the number
>
> of
>
> > characters, except Unicode strings, which are 4 mm times the number of
> > characters.
>
> could you explain further about the metric standard you're using. this is
> the first time a size of data structure is measured using meters instead of
> byte/bit.
> i need the information for my post-mortem of my assignment to explain why
> using python data structure would be efficient. yes, i'm only a studemt who
> is still need to learn lots of stuffs.
> thanks.

Steve's statement is not entirely correct:  it depends what font you use for
your data.  I often optimize memory usage by selecting a smaller font for my
data structures.  It can take a little longer for the Python interpreter to
render the data into memory, but a speed/size tradeoff is fairly common.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells