Considering getting into Python... Any Pros-Cons?

Jeff Davis jdavis at empires.org
Sun Nov 4 05:38:21 EST 2001

Python covers a lot of ground. Since almost any language can be used for
almost anything, I will qualify that statement: python covers the same
ground as VB, except python will cover that ground much better (in my
opinion).

The primary reason you would not use python is if the application you were
writing relies on excellent performance for many basic operations (for
example, you would not write an operating system). Another reason might be
that there is a more specific language for your particular task (i.e. the
unix shell language is better suited for an interactive shell).

The largest application that comes to mind is zope (zope.org). It is an
entire application server. Larger applications can be written without a
problem. I have also written many applications meant to be run only one
time to solve one task once, that were only a few lines.

I really recommend python. I have used VBScript, php, perl, c, c++ among
others and I think python has a great language design.

Jeff Davis