H.R. Humour

HRWire hrwire at lb.bcentral.com
Tue Oct 9 17:58:02 EDT 2001

HR.Humour is brought to you by HR by the Hour!

When is it "enough" employee survelliance? To view the cartoon related to this click :
http://www.hr.com/hrcom/clickthru/clickthru.cfm?linkid=1024191003

Closing branches or departments?
Re-evaluating staff competitiveness?
Potential legal battles?
The Exit Squad is an elite group of HR Professionals and consultants who can help you through the tough times: preparing exit strategies, outplacement programs, presenting termination notices and much more.
Let us help you, visit http://www.exitsquad.com, or email sales at exitsquad.com.

Symphire is transforming face-to-face recruiting. We use state-of-the-art Internet tools to source and identify candidates and mass amounts of local advertising. We currently have a number of offerings focused on Canadian Healthcare Professionals. Call toll free 866-836-6424 or email ldiflorio at symphire.com

Steve Cabot presents: Managing Workers in the Age of "Big Brother"
Comprehensive strategies for building productivity, avoiding litigation, and protecting employee rights in the face of exploding workplace technology.
PHILADELPHIA
November 2, 2001
BOSTON
November 13, 2001
TORONTO
November 20, 2001
HR.com Paid Members receive an additional $75 off. Call 877-472-6648, or email: seminars at hr.com.

Need Advice, Support and Expertise...
HR by the Hour is the perfect match for you
HR by the Hour a new service designed for HR managers, SMEs, CEOs of small companies, or Line Managers.

Three levels of service are available including:
Basic Fact Finding
Answers researched in our database, including forms, factual inquiries and articles. Examples:
1. What is the minimum wage in Arizona?
2. I need a good article on competencies.
3. I need a standard offer letter.
4. What does a typical grade structure look like?

HR Services
Services delivered by phone or email and provided by a personnel officer. Examples:
1. Writing Job Descriptions
2. Writing Policies and Procedures
3. Providing basic advice, e.g. Should I separate merit and cost of living increases or just lump them together?

Expert Advice
Service delivered by phone or email and provided by a senior HR consultant, or labor lawyer. Examples:
1. What should our pay policy be?
2. The IT manager wants to fire a staff member who was "disrespectful". What do I do?
3. Would a Balanced Scorecard help us?
4. Which Applicant Tracking Systems should we shortlist?
5. We're getting sued what should I do?

Competitive rates starting at $45/hour. Pay as you go!
For more information email sales at hrbythehour.com
or visit http://www.hrbythehour.com

>From the Humor Files
Inspired by actual anecdotes from Professionals

Dear Shirley B Nice:
We dismissed an individual for misuse of our agency credit card - he was captured on a grocery security video using the card to buy his personal groceries. He was prosecuted and convicted. A few months later, he came to our offices, confronted his former department head, and said he'd like to work for us again. She candidly told him that she was not interested in employing him, but that he was free to apply for jobs in other departments. He said he would - he'd be interested in working in maintenance, a job that would give him "more independence" . . . should we rehire him?
- Recruiter
Dear Recruiter,
Its natural to want to give him a second chance but you know my motto: "The proof is in the pudding" and this one has proven to be a bad egg. Never burn your bridges, end this relationship on a positive note and send him off with a handshake and foodstamps.
- Shirley

 Shirley is the resident HR.com HR Manager. Shirley is ever so accommodating and tries to please everyone in the company. She sources faster than a speeding bullet, processes payroll with the accuracy of dart. Nothing phases Shirley she has seen it all in her career in HR. Shirley is happily married with 2 kids , 4 grandchildren and a pet dog named Rover.