Problem with linking embedding C application

Mads Bondo Dydensborg madsdyd at challenge.dk
Mon Oct 1 09:23:34 EDT 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Gerhard Häring wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 02:40:19PM +0200, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> > > from distutils.sysconfig import get_config_var
> > > print get_config_var("LIBS") + " " + get_config_var("SYSLIBS")
> >
> > Thanks, that is nice.
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming that this module is rather new? (I just checked,
> > it does not seem to be present in Python 1.6, but is very much in 2.0).
> >
> > Where did you figure out about "LIBS" and "SYSLIBS" from?
>
> Hmm. I first read about the distutils.sysconfig in the Extending and
> Embedding Chapter of the Python docs. Section 5.6 (Linking
> Requirements).

I have read that as well, - I read it as beeing about exporting symbols
from extensions.

> When I read your post, I thought there must a way
> to figure it out with the distutils.sysconfig module. I confess I just
> printed the result of get_config_vars() and compared that with what
> ldd /usr/bin/python showed me.
>
> The LIBS and SYSLIBS stuff seem to come in fact from the Python Makefile
> that distutils.sysconfig parses.

OK - I will look for more interessting variables, then ;-)

> distutils-is-magic-ly yours,

Thanks,

Mads

Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd at challenge.dk
A series on the annoying idiosyncrasies of popular programs such as Windows,
Word and Excel features irritating or irritated animals. Word 97 Annoyances
sports a decidedly miffed opossum, while Windows 98 Annoyances gets a European
common toad, covered with warts.
                         - Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY, on O'Reilly bookcovers