Why so few Python jobs?

Carlos Gaston Alvarez cgaston at moonqzie.com
Tue Sep 25 05:10:59 EDT 2001

    I will tell you how Python got introduced in my company. I think in most
cases things are like that.

    I was hired as a C++ expert. No posting asking for Python. Neither I
knew it. My friend Steve Henrichsen was allways telling me about the
advantages of python (in my last job). So when I had to deal with a
complicate application I installed Python for doing some programming test
with com objects. I also gave it to the other programmer so he could do some
tests too.
    Later I had to search for some libraries in C++ but coudent find string
compatible easy to use standard libraries. Python had them. So I took the
desition to use Python for the application.
    ¿Python? Arguments againts it (from the boss himself) was that it was an
internet language and that he was told that it was going to disapear in a
few years. So I toll him that it was not true. And even if he had to rewrite
it in some years he would have saved money (because of prototiping). The
main fear was 'the language can disapear'. And to a lesser degree, 'there is
no support'. Anyway, I gave the example of visual J++ and other company
mantained languages and said that there where so many python programmers
(dont know if true) that the language cant desapear and that it is growing
(is true for sure).
    So now we are 3 Python programmers more in this world. That doesnt means
that I am not programming in Java or my fellow partner in C++, but Python
got its way in the company. And we are happy of using it not because of
saying we are using Python but because Python increased productivity. May be
this is a representative case of how Python gets its way in companies.

Chau,

Gaston