Python in The Economist's "Technology Quarterly", September 22

Paul Prescod paul at ActiveState.com
Sun Sep 30 20:16:48 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Later on it talks about languages "flexible and adaptable to the needs of
> the Internet: examples incude Perl, a language that can be used to
> communicate between a web server and its clients, and Python, a language
> used, among other things, for managing discussion forums on the Internet".
> I particularly like how they used the "among other things" for Python and
> NOT for Perl:-).

Yes but, "communicating between a web server and its client" sounds much
more grandiose

> Overall not quite as good an article as I've come to expect from "The
> Economist" over the years, but still pretty good if you can get it...

I agree. It was very rambling and had many odd conclusions. Still, it is
a sign of Python's mainstream growth to see it even mentioned.

 Paul Prescod