form - mail - smtp using Python 1.5.

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Sep 11 02:00:37 EDT 2001

"Jerry Cashman" <jc at bigpond.com> writes:

> Hi Python world,
>
> I need a simple form-mail (cgi) script but it has to work under Python 1.5
> (on WinNT)...
>
> All the example code I've found appears to call a module called smtplib.py
> which doesn't appear to exist in Python 1.5
>
> Upgrading is not an option unfortunately... :(
>
> Any help or pointers much appreciated... Cheers. Jerry.

You might try downloading Python 1.5.2 just to borrow the smtplib.py
module and see if it works with 1.5.  (You could even try a version
from a more recent Python to pick up any later enhancements, but using
the 1.5.2 version is probably the most likely to be compatible).

The comments in the module indicate that it was originally modified
from the HTTP lib module in Python 1.5 so you're probably right that
1.5 itself didn't have smtplib ( I think it was first added in 1.5.1)

--
-- David