Interesting comments about Py on LT

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Wed Aug 7 03:40:35 EDT 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) writes:
> > Do you really know of Python implementations, including reasonable
> > subsets, that run on 8-bit microcontrollers like javacard does?  Even
> > J2ME runs on smaller cpu's than anything I know of Python running on,
> > and I believe there are some implementations of the full java
> > language, that run on even smaller machines than that.
>
> I don't know any Python implementation that runs on a 8-bit
> controller. However, I still wonder how much memory these things
> have available.

Hi, a typical javacard implementation might have 4k-8k or so of ram,
some additional indeterminate amount (typically 4k-20k) of eeprom,
and another 32k-64k of non-writable rom to hold the interpreter
and possibly some application code.  I haven't heard of Python
running in anything near that small a device.  Of course Javacard
won't run in the smallest 8-bit micros, which typically have only
a few dozen bytes of ram.