generating permutations :-)

Andreas Leitgeb Andreas.Leitgeb at siemens.at
Mon Aug 5 11:54:05 EDT 2002

When I read in my book about the generators in Python,
I couldn't help but try out this feature, by translating
some of my old C-code (which used callbacks instead):

It shows that generators can be built recursively :-)

--- snip ---
from __future__ import generators
def perm(arr,N=None):
  if N is None: N=len(arr)-1
  if N>1:
    for i in perm(arr,N-1): yield i
  else: yield arr
  for k in range(N):
    if N&1: (arr[N] , arr[k]) = (arr[k], arr[N])
    else:   (arr[N] , arr[0]) = (arr[0], arr[N])
    if N>1:
      for i in perm(arr,N-1): yield i
    else: yield arr