Tix/Tk Module frustrations HELP!

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Sat Aug 24 00:54:02 EDT 2002

Quoting Mike Clarkson (support at internetdiscovery.com):
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:31:26 -0700, Geoff Gerrietts
> <geoff at gerrietts.net> wrote:
>
> What OS and version are you using?
>
> This problem is unknown when compiling from sources, so I'm wondering
> if you have problems based on the binary distribution. If it's RedHat,
> then you should file it as a bug - they hack around on the Tix
> distribution in their rpm scripts in ways I'm sure are unnecessary.

I am using RedHat 7.2, but with software compiled from source:

libtk8.3.4
libtcl8.3.4
libtix8.1.8.3
python 2.2 (doesn't look like I went and got 2.2.1, so hmmm).

As I suggested, it looks like it's some kind of configure-time glitch.
I just didn't track it thru the whole process.

For your edification, here's my python session, after I went and
removed the symlink:

  >>> import Tix
  >>> root = Tix.Tk()
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tix.py", line 213, in __init__
      self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
  TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix": /usr/lib/libtix:

It is a different error message, after all. :)

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "That's it! I've had it with your sassy mouth!
<geoff at gerrietts net>     I didn't want to do this! (Well, actually,