Acrimony in c.l.p.

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Sun Dec 22 20:38:32 EST 2002

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:18:59 -0500, dsavitsk wrote:

> It is not to say that many of the additions to the language are not
> welcome, but only that they seem to deal with topics and practices which
> are complicated. While the developers of the language have done a good
> job of implementing new features in a reasonable way, the additional
> complexities to reading other's code often puts it beyond the realm of
> newbies -- perhaps including some of us who feel like perpetual newbies.

I'm curious what you would put in the category of additional complexities?

Note that the complaint that Python has moved too fast has been taken to
heart for Python 2.3.  The release will be over a year since 2.2 came out
and will contain no new major features.  A couple of exceptions have been
added, one new builtin (enumerate) and one new method to dicts (pop). New
libraries cuurently include:  bzip2, datetime, and logging. Python 2.3 is
about 40% faster for me.  While I'm sure there's thing I've forgotten,
there's no big changes coming.

I point this out only to show that development has changed based on
feedback.  More feedback with well-reasoned arguments do affect
development. Even if the comments are not in line with developers wishes.

The PBF has also been created.  It intends to support Python 2.2.x
releases further into the future.

Neal