Problems with Python 2.2.2 install on Linux

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 19 15:07:38 EST 2002

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 22:47, Sheila King wrote:
> OK, I decided to try and install Python from source on Linux
> again. (This would be the third or fourth time in two years.)

What distribution and version of Linux are you installing on?  (ie.
Redhat 7.2, Debian 3.0, etc.)  This information will greatly
improve are ability to provide specific help about building (mainly
because it can tell us what external libraries are expected to be
available to you).

> What is the benefit of installing so that Python is built with
> shared libraries? Are there any disadvantages to building with
> shared libraries?

The main advantage is the executable size will be smaller when it
is built with shared libraries, and use less memory when executing.
 This is because, when multiple programs use a shared library, the
library only exists once in memory, whereas with static linking,
that code will exist separately in each programs memory space.
There are related benefits to this, such as possibly faster startup
times.

As far as compiling, it shouldn't make much or any difference with
the build, on a properly setup Linux system (ie. any decent modern
distribution should do).  However, in reality, there can be cases
where the static and shared library stubs are not in sync, or not
all present, etc., which can make the build fail for type of
linking method and not the other.

So, for the next round of questions, provide your linux
distribution (and glibc version if you know it), and machine type
if it is not a Intel-based system.

> I am installing this on a Virtual host account on a
> shared/community web hosting server.

Judging from that fact, and the 'make tests' summary you posted,
the build doesn't seem too out-of-line.  The provider probably
doesn't provide all the libraries and services you need to support
all the modules in the default build.  Could you put your
/Modules/Setup on a website, where we could give feedback on what
to disable?  You need to ensure that the features you enabled are
allowed and installed on the system you are building on.

--
Bay Area Python Interest Group - http://www.baypiggies.net/

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov