XML-RPC over HTTPS/SSL

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at madcap.netmemetic.com
Wed Feb 20 09:51:35 EST 2002

According to Thomas Weholt <thomas at gatsoft.no>:
> I got a xmlrpc-server running using M2Crypto, making it encrypted with SSL.
> I cannot get any xmlrpc-client to connect though, no matter what.

Do demo/ssl/xmlrpc_cli.py and demo/ssl/xmlrpc_srv.py work on your
installation?

[In one window.]
ngps at spinnaker:~/prog/m2/demo/ssl$ python xmlrpc_srv.py

[In another window.]
ngps at spinnaker:~/prog/m2/demo/ssl$ python xmlrpc_cli.py
[1, 2, 3]
['SOAP']

[Back in the first window...]
LOOP: SSL accept: before/accept initialization
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 read client hello A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write server hello A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write certificate A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write key exchange A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write server done A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 flush data
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 read client key exchange A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 read finished A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write finished A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 flush data
INFO: SSL accept: SSL negotiation finished successfully
XMLRPC call: Testing (1, 2, 3)
localhost - - [20/Feb/2002 22:37:20] "POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
LOOP: SSL accept: before/accept initialization
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 read client hello A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write server hello A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write certificate A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write key exchange A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write server done A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 flush data
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 read client key exchange A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 read finished A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 write finished A
LOOP: SSL accept: SSLv3 flush data
INFO: SSL accept: SSL negotiation finished successfully
XMLRPC call: BringOn ('SOAP',)
localhost - - [20/Feb/2002 22:37:20] "POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.0" 200 -

> xml-rpc-server using SSL/HTTPS , preferrably with user authentication also?
> ( to make it perfect, it would accept gzip-encoding to speed up transfers
> :-) )

M2Crypto's XMLRPC does user authentication. Well, it is using the eff-bot's
xmlrpclib, so it's really that library that does. ;-)

No gzip-encoding, sorry. Shouldn't be too difficult.

> I keep seeing stuff about SSL/HTTPS-support in standard python, but ... ??
> Do you compile the interpreter with OpenSSL etc ?? My clients and servers
> will most probably run 60% on Linux and 40% windows, and re-compilation
> isn't always feasable for windows-users.

Does Python 2.2's SSL do servers? I am of the impression it doesn't.

Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at netmemetic.com> * http://www.netmemetic.com