What does Python fix?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 20 14:05:45 EST 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Martin von Loewis wrote:
>
> > Joseph A Knapka <jknapka at earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> >> I agree with everything Mr. Marttilla wrote about Google:
> >> it is a severe PITA to follow a discussion there, when
> >> everyone is following cultural norms re. posting style.
> >
> > Isn't that a Google problem, then: Ask them to present articles in a
> > different form. If everybody follows the conventions, it can't be
> > difficult to produce some alternative view automatically.
>
> What form would you propose?  Some option switch to hide quoted
> material?  I don't think that would make most posts easy to read.

The biggest problem with Google is that if a post is more than
a couple of dozen lines long, you have to follow a line to see the
whole article - and the resulting page doesn't let you see
the rest of the thread, so you have to go "Back" to continue.
There ought to be an option to see the full article text by
default,

<wrenches the topic lever toward center with all his
strength; ponderous machinery grinds in agony;
mysterious crashing sounds in the distance>

but since their news-presentation code is doubtless written
in some P-language other than Python, it's probably
insanely difficult to implement such a thing :-)

<coughs amidst thick dust cloud; wipes hands on shirt,
surveys wreckage...>

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"