Python on Tandy Model 102?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 30 05:24:34 EST 2002

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     >> then ldd showed me that Perl hides most of its mojo in a shared
>     >> library:
>
>     Kragen> Why doesn't Python do that?
>
> If you submitted a patch to the SF patch manager, I'm sure the PythonLabs
> folks would take a close look at it.

There are several already there...

> Put another way, Python's build process generates a static library
> on Unix systems because it hasn't been important enough to someone
> in the community to implement the shared library version.

On the (N+1) flavours of unix...

I think the debian folks distribute a libpython.so, and occasionally
try to feed the patch upstream, generally to be asked awkward
questions like "does it work on Solaris?".

It might be a reasonable 2.3 goal, though.

Cheers,
M.

--
93. When someone says "I want a programming language in which I
    need only say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.