What does Python fix?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Jan 17 09:46:02 EST 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> writes:
> The notion that these LISP zealots can't wrap their
> fantatical little minds around is the possibility that
> large numbers of programmers, upon encountering LISP,
> actually hate it. Or worse, use it for a while, and
> then learn to hate it.

I don't know; I think most programmers are simply far too conservative
and too intolerant of superficial syntactical features.  Witness how
much flak Python, an otherwise fairly conventional languages, takes
for its one unconventional feature, indentation.  With this attitude,
Lisp with its parenthesis-heavy syntax doesn't stand a chance, no
matter how good or bad the language itself is.

--amk                                                  (www.amk.ca)
  "Do I have to order you, Doctor?"
  "I wouldn't advise it."
    -- The Brigadier and the Doctor, in "The Green Death"