Mysterious delay in Python module loading (fwd)

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Tue Jan 8 18:45:07 EST 2002

"Bob Kline" <bkline at rksystems.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Tim Peters wrote:
>
> > [Bob Kline]
> > > I have made some progress in my debugging of the problem.  In fact it
> > > appears that the problem stems from a wide discrepancy in the amount
of
> > > time consumed by a call to fopen() on the two machines.  A test repro
> > > written in C with loops to repeatedly attempt to open the files that
> > > Python was trying to open while searching for the module files runs in
> > > under 6 seconds on the development machine, and 382 seconds on the
> > > second machine (some of the fopen calls succeed, most fail, as is the
> > > case when Python is doing its search for the modules).
> >
> > Are you running a virus scanner on this machine?  Some interfere
enormously
> > with file operations.
>
> Both machines are running the same virus software, controlled by the
> network domain admin.  I'll push some more to make sure they can confirm
> that the configuration of the two is identical, and I've tried
> temporarily disabling the virus software on the problem machine, without
> any noticeable effect on the the problem.
>
> > > The only remotely likely possibility that comes to mind at this point
in
> > > the game is something to do with screwed-up ACLs.
> >
> > Whatever it is, it's not Python <wink>.
>
> Yes, that's the one piece I'm completely confident of having ruled out.
>
> [By the way, I included the python list at the suggestion of one of the
> Active State folks, and I'm very appreciative of the help and
> suggestions I've received from members of both lists, but I'm a little
> bit nervous that someone will be offended by the cross-posting.  If I've
> broken any rules here, please nudge me back toward acceptable practice
> for this list.]
>
> --
> Bob Kline
> mailto:bkline at rksystems.com
> http://www.rksystems.com

If you're breaking any rules I'd be surprised.  Your problem's more
interesting than the "evils of JavaScript" that has otherwise largely
monopolized the group today.  ;-)

Good luck finding whatever it is that's causing your problem.  In the
it-never-hurts-to-ask department, have you checked and reseated all drive
cables, and that no duplicate scsi ids exist and that appropriate
terminators are in place?

Post a follow-up once you've resolved things.

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com

---------