Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Wed Jan 9 10:42:43 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:29:35PM +0000, Brett g Porter wrote:
> I disagree with the characterization. There is not only One OS Maker, and
> when you say that there is Only One, it makes it difficult to take your
> points seriously. I've got three operating systems humming in my office as I
> type this -- 2 closed, 1 open. I'm not interested in zealotry. Each of them
> has their niche, and I'm happy to work with each of them on their own terms.

   Alas! Anywhere I go they suggest me to upgarde to M$IE, or download
software for that The One and the Only OS. Just yesterday I tried to visit
www.webshots.com. And what? How can I browse their pictures under Linux or
MacOS or whatever? They require that One OS :( And this is pretty common
situation - no one care about other OSes.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru