Comments in pickles?

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 12:37:35 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1025669285.25713.python-list at python.org>, Tim Peters wrote:
> In short, an embedded $Id never did me any good, but has wasted my time and
> tempted people to write code with severe bugs.  If you just leave the $Id as
> a passive piece of a comment, I suppose the real damage is limited to making
> merges artificially painful.

I would like to encourage everyone *please* do include CVS ID comments
in your code. They are incredibly useful. They have helped me out no
end of times when dealing with other peoples' software. When you
download programs as tar.gz files, unless you have included the CVS ID
as comments in the files, you have no idea what versions you have, and
therefore have great trouble trying to compare it with the CVS
repository for the project.

I agree on the other hand that using the ID as anything other than
just a comment is unwise, but I can't imagine why anyone would do such
a thing anyway.