Anyone used WSH for remote scripting on WinXP?

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Mon Jul 15 13:50:29 EDT 2002

I've been trying to use Windows Script Host to execute a script on a
remote WinXP machine (from a WinXP machine too if that matters). I'd
eventually like to run Python scripts but currently I can't get any
traction. I can't even get the code at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script5
6/html/wsconrunningscriptsremotelyrunningscriptovertherefromhere.asp to
run (even on the local machine). It fails with an error "ActiveX
component can't create object" if using VB and an un-named COMException
if using Python. I can't figure out which object it is trying to create.
MSDN
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script
56/html/vserractivexcomponentcantcreateobject.asp) doesn't seem to give
any hint as to how to problem-solve this either...

Questions:
1 - Has anyone gotten this to work?
2 - Is there an easier way to execute a script remotely?
    (security is not an issue this time).
3 - I've got ActivePython 2.2.1 build 222. Do I need to
    execute win32comext\axscript\client\pyscript_rexec.py
    (or pyscript.py) on the target machine? I've done so
    (both of them) on my test systems, but I'm wondering
    what to tell the sysadmins.

This has gotten me quite frustrated, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

-- bjorn