expect module and/or functionality? Or SSH wrapper module?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Jul 10 08:40:57 EDT 2002

In article <lksn2rx3ni.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>,
Michael Hudson  <mwh at python.net> wrote:
>claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
>
>> If not, no, you can't Expect with pure Python; there's no
>> practical way to get the pseudoterminal munging right without
>> calls into the C run-time library that Python itself can't
>> access.
>
>Huh?  You have openpty, forkpty, ioctl, setsid, setpgrp, ... what more
>do you want?
			.
			.
			.
World peace.  I'm concluding my counsel was ill-advised;
maybe people shouldn't be listening to me.  As of 2.2,
(now-deprecated) pty was still the distribution module,
not openpty or forkpty.  I fear that my pettiness came
across as a reflection on the great work done by Lance
Ellinghaus, Thomas Wouters, and others on these modules.
This would be an injustice.  I overreacted to early re-
leases that didn't work smoothly for other-than-Linux,
and/or were not installed by default.

I do want to emphasize the distinction between the modules
you've listed above and, for example, PySSH, which operates
at a higher level, as does Expect, also.  As a programming
interface, openpty, forkpty, and so on are rather Unix-
centric.

Thanks for correcting the errors I introduced.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net