Why self?

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Tue Jul 9 16:39:28 EDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Mark McEahern wrote:

> > Tell you what. You're a smart guy (not sarcastic, I mean it).  Why not
> > apply your considerable knowledge to finding a solution to the issue of
> > requiring "self."  prefixes?  It's apparent that lots of people would
> > like to lose that requirement.  I'm sure you can demolish my
> > off-the-cuff suggestion at some point.  I'm a bush-league amateur. But
> > when you do that you will turn around to see that the issue itself is
> > still there.  What would you do?
>
> You say that lots of people would like to lose the requirement.  My guess is
> that's not true.  It may appear true, since this topic does come up every so
> often and the people who think it's a problem are often quite insistent
> about it.
>
> What you don't see, of course, is all the people who are silent because
> they're quite happy with self. prefixes

And/or because they just got finished deleting all the messages from the
last time this came up. <0.7 wink>

> and consider this a pointless discussion usually kept alive by people
> who refuse to learn the idioms of Python to their best advantage.

Yup... the talk about finding a "solution" to the "issue" doesn't make
sense to me because there is no issue or problem. It's like trying to find
a "solution" to the no-block-delimiter "issue".

-Dave