Newbie: How to touch "global" variables

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 29 12:38:13 EDT 2002

    Jeff> Hello, I've got a defeinite newbie question (I searched
    Jeff> some, but to be honest I don't know what keywords to search
    Jeff> on - which has brought me here :).  I want a module to be
    Jeff> able to "touch" a variable defined globally (from the main
    Jeff> script). I don't necessarily want to change the value ofthe
    Jeff> variable, but to query it. For example, get the length. How
    Jeff> do I do this?

The received wisdom is that you rarely if every want/need to use a
global variable.  Singletons/Borgs can do anything you'll want your
global variable to do, and will be cleaner, easier to maintain and
will win you friends, women and respect.

Search google for 'singleton design pattern'

And take a look at Alex Martelli's "Singleton? We don't need no
stinkin' singleton: the Borg design pattern"

   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66531

John Hunter