j2ee vs. python (and what our evil competitors are saying about python)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Jul 9 01:45:10 EDT 2002

Joseph A Knapka wrote:
>> ·         No automatic garbage collection.
>
> A damned lie, as casual perusal of the Python documentation
> would reveal. Your major weapon against this competitor might
> be simply that they lie to their customers!

Yes, there are by far enough outright lies in this document that
you should be able to just point out a few of them and totally
destroy their credibility -- no need to get into anything arguable.
Besides the ones noted as such by Joseph, here's a few more:

>> ·         Limited documentation- only two English language books exist
>> which provide tutorials or a library reference for Python.

Another ridiculous lie -- *dozens* of English language books about
Python, and MOST provide tutorials, in addition to the many found
on the net.  The demand for duplicates of the reference materials
supplied with Python is obviously lower than that for tutorials, but
even in that field there's quite a bit of overlap.

>> ·         Lacks basic tools such as integrated source level debuggers.
>
> That's not entirely true. There's IDLE and Pythonwin,

Those are two free ones, but don't forget the impressive array of
commercial products, too -- Archaeopteryx's Wing, PythonWorks,
ActiveState's Komodo and Visual Python, Blackadder... i.e.,
another total lie.  You wouldn't be happening to be competing
against a WorldCom subsidiary, would you?

>> ·         No packaging methods for software distribution.
>
> distutils

Yep -- yet one more outright, bare-faced lie.

Alex