why not "'in' in 'in'"?

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 04:40:05 EDT 2002

Grant Griffin <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote in
news:3D082A62.CF800C75 at seebelow.org:

>> Grant Griffin wrote:
>>  This peculiar lack of generality seems a bit (dare I say
>>  it?) "non-Pythonic".
<lots of snips and then>
> But anyway, let's "just say no" to the tuple case rather than confuse
> ourselves; let's just make the string version of "in" a special case.

I see a slight lack of consistency in your approach here. First you
complain that the way 'in' works lacks generality, then when everyone
points out that to make it work the way you would expect would make it
break on lists or tuples you suggest special casing.

The Pythonic way is to maintain generality, not to introduce special cases.