Comparison: HTTP with Java, Perl or Python

J Swartz js_nntp at nospam_blackrocksoftware.com
Sat Jun 8 17:52:02 EDT 2002

This one:

public class URLTest {
    public static void main(String[] arguments) {
        String myurl = "http://www.uni-dortmund.de";
        try {
            java.io.BufferedReader reader = new java.io.BufferedReader
( new java.io.InputStreamReader((new java.net.URL(myurl)).openStream()) );
            for (String curLine = reader.readLine(); curLine != null;
curLine = reader.readLine())
                System.out.println( curLine );
            reader.close();
        } catch (java.io.IOException ex) { System.out.println(ex); }
    }
}

is 11 lines (text is wrapped here to make 13), took about 4 minutes to write
and test. It was quite straightforward.

BTW the Java 1.4 API is online here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/index.html

- JS