PEP 263 comments

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 1 15:53:06 EST 2002

    Martin> A byte string should certainly be able to store arbitrary
    Martin> bytes. Under Stephen's proposal, it would indeed not be possible
    Martin> anymore to put arbitrary binary data into source code.

It's clear from discussions on python-dev that, like Barry Warsaw, I wear
American sunglasses when exposed to the Unicode sun.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, under Stephen's propsal would

    s = "\xff"

be correct?  I assume

    s = "ÿ"

(a literal 0377 character) would be an error, yes?  That is, when you saw
"arbitrary binary data" you are referring to non-printable octets in the
source file, right?

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)