[OT] Want to recognize pictures using Python

F. GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Wed Mar 6 08:32:35 EST 2002

I plan to buy a USB camera (hope, they are not too expensive) to play a bit
with image analyzing. Nothing sophisticated, just color recognition: I'd
like to be able to tell whether the upper half of a picture has mostly the
color green or red or the lower left quarter of an image is mostly blue etc.

I'm completely new to this topic, but really would like to do this in
Python.

Does anyone know of a package capable of providing such services? As said
already, preferably for use in Python programs. PIL comes to my mind here.
Is PIL the right one to start with in this regard?

Thanks and best regards
Franz GEIGER