Java and Python employment prospects (was: Java and Python)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Mar 20 10:17:45 EST 2002

			.
>> I'm interested in knowing which skills will(are) being looked for.
			.
			.
			.
>3. The best support for either Java or Python is probably in
>their respective newsgroups.  Python's is widely known as being
>one of the most polite and helpful.  The language has been
			.
		[a great deal of useful
		and correct information]
			.
			.
>Here's my best answer to you:  I happen to hire programmers
>to work on my team in a wireless telecom company.  Although
>we happen to have chosen to use Python in addition to C and
>a few minor languages like Javascript and Assembly, where
>necessary, the language we use is hardly the most important
>thing.
>
>Communication skills are, first and foremost, the thing I
>look for in hiring.  This includes the softer social skills
>like how to work in a team and put aside one's programming
>ego.  Next are adaptability, as in how easily someone can
>pick up new skills and apply them effectively.  Design
>skills are useful.  Debugging skills are very valuable,
>though rather unfortunately rare.  Probably some others
>that don't come to mind in today's economy (we're not
>hiring now :-).
>
>Way, way down the list of things I look for in a resume
>is the programming languages a candidate has.  Not entirely
			.
			.
			.
>Not all companies hire in this way, of course, but all
>the best ones do. :-)
>
>-Peter
>
>P.S.: If you are considering Python as a massive growth
>area where ex-Java programmers can go to get lucrative
>jobs, you're bound to be disappointed.  As in programming,
>there is no silver bullet.

I feel a need to reinforce some of what Peter has written.

Understand clearly that many, many organizations do NOT hire
based on anything like the criteria Peter describes.  They
instead process candidates based narrowly on "certifications",
alleged language experience, and so on.  Of course these are
not the best employers; they are, in my experience, the over-
whelming majority.

Yes, comp.lang.python has a deserved reputation for its cor-
diality and effectiveness.

Incidentally, I have personal knowledge of a prestigious
educational institution that's working on a training unit
whose purpose I feel I can fairly paraphrase as, "Python for
Java programmers who seek a 'silver bullet' for their founder-
ing careers".  This stuff happens.  Peter's fighting powerful
social forces by writing and managing his company so wisely.

I think a decision to seek career counseling in comp.lang.java
[sic] and comp.lang.python is ... well, perhaps it's best to
express it this way:  my reading of c.l.p is that few of the
participants claim expertise in the specialty of "drive-by"
career counseling.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net