list comprehension question

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Mar 26 22:54:32 EST 2002

In article <3CA13DA5.DF1C3C7C at engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>Laura Creighton wrote:
>>>Peter Hansen:
>>>
>>> If it's a bot, you don't have to apologize.  Bots feel no emotion.
>>>
>>> And you're safe, too -- remember the First Law.
>>>
>>> -objectifying-tim-ly yr's,
>>> Peter
>>
>> Tisk tisk.  Only half of the apologising you do for the other person.
>> The other half you do for yourself.
>
>Not sure I understand the sentiment, but perhaps it would have
>helped you if I included an explicit smiley?  That _was_ a joke.
>Happily, I think from Tim's reply he understood and took it that way.
>(The reference to Asimov might be obscure to some.  Sorry.)
>
>Thanks for the gentle advice though. :)

Um, Peter?  I think the following quote from my .sig collection would be
appropriate here (at least if I understand Laura correctly, and I think
I do):

"If sarcasm were posted to the Net, would anybody notice?"  --JDN

"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97% of the time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  --Knuth