Music, binary output from server?

Philipp Lenssen lenssen at hitnet.rwth-aachen.de
Sun May 12 06:42:27 EDT 2002

"Chris Liechti" <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:Xns920C1FA5ACC12cliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82...
> "Philipp Lenssen" <lenssen at hitnet.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in
> news:abkali$5ob$1 at nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE:
>
> > Is there any way to programmatically create e.g. MIDI output via
> > parameters? Could I include like the following on a webpage:
> > <bgsound="http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/midi.py?notes=cdfcdf" />
>
> i don't use background music on my pages because i don't like it that
much,
> but it seems reasonable that any URL should do, including those pointing
> a CGI.

No, I don't like music on normal websites too. However, this research is for
an XML based adventure game language (QML) that can output to the browser
window as XHTML. Somebody pointed out it could be nice to include musical
commands in QML, so before I think about wether or not this should be
overkill for the language (you can already include music files), I might get
some technical stuff done.

> this seems like a good start (one line URL):
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=python+midi&hl=en&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-
> 8&selm=199610240614.QAA01745%40jetsam.phm.gov.au&rnum=6
>
> (he, even the midi.tar.gz link in the above article works and its dated
> back from 1996 :-)

(Weird. For some reasons this file was send as type VRML or maybe it's my
browser. It tried to open up a 3D world for me to navigate.)

Thanks, that looks like what I wanted. However, I can't seem to run the
files.
If I see the problem correctly the following is the cause (in midiplay.py):
    import sgimidi
    import SGIMIDI

Locally I run PWS on Win98 (for WWW I got Apache). If I understand this
correctly, then import points to the filename, and Linux file-names are
case-sensitive, while Windows file-names aren't. I started to replace
occurrences of "SGMIDI" with "SGMIDIuppercase" but I can't even get hold of
both files from the zip-package.