making python scripts backwards compatible

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat May 4 20:10:47 EDT 2002

> I beg to differ.  Rather his request is quite reasonable.
>
> He merely asks to maintain backward compatibility OR (!) be sure to
> document your version requirements at the top of your source.
>
> How can any reasonable person disagree?

Determining your version requirements is too much to ask. I wrote the
module is question and, before reading this thread, I had no idea what
the version requirements were (1). Are patch writers also required to
test against multiple Python versions?

Cheers,
Brian

(1) I wrote and tested it with CVS Python (pre Python 2.2). My test
suite was pretty manual and I had no real interest in running it against
other Pythons, which I didn't even have installed on my Unix box.