How to write Inline Functions in Python?

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 15 18:14:02 EST 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 00:15, David Brown wrote:
> "Chad Netzer" <cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov> wrote in message
> > On Thursday 14 November 2002 04:47, David Brown wrote:
> > > The question then is when will gcc support such
> > > link-time code generation, [snip]
> >
> >    I'm guessing there may be patent issues in this particular area, which
> > could restrict gcc's ability to implement some of these features.
>
> Really?  It's an obvious idea - I thought of it years ago, and I have never
> written a compiler.  I couldn't imagine that anyone who has really thought
> about it would see it differently.  The implementation, on the other hand,
> could be tough (and presumably is tough - or it would have been done long
> ago), especially for gcc where the linker is very much a seperate entity
> from the compiler.

Right, it is the details of implementation that might be a bit of a patent
minefield (not the idea).   In the back of my head I seem to recall listening
to a discussion with more knowledgable people about such patents.  Various
people in the gcc community are obviously more informed in this area, than I.

--
Bay Area Python Interest Group - http://www.baypiggies.net/

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov