Textbooks on Perl/Python

Martin Elster melster at chello.no
Wed Nov 6 13:12:45 EST 2002

Jalab wrote:
> Greetings all,
> Any help in finding a university level textbook on the subject of
> "Scripting languages" I am mainly looking for a book that covers Perl
> and Python only as the 2 main scripting languages and that is written
> for students, i.e. chapter summary, exercises, etc. I hate to force my
> student to buy and study from two separate books.
>
> Any ideas?

At the University of Oslo there is currently a course which teaches
Python, Perl and some Bash. The professor, H. P. Langtangen, has written
a textbook called "Scripting Tools for Scientific Computations". The
book hasn't been published yet, but there exists a preliminary version
which the students are using. I like it. You might want to check out the
course homepage (in Norwegian):

http://www.ifi.uio.no/in228/

or take a look at the course notes (in English), which cover alot and
will give you a good idea of what the book is like:

http://www.ifi.uio.no/in228/lecsplit/index.html

If this seems interesting I suggest you get in touch with the
professor/author. You'll find his email address at the course homepage.

Good luck.

Martin